Friday, November 18, 2005

Well, the last of the family has left, and so much happened in the past few days. After my aunt and uncle headed up to Manuel Antonio, my cousin, Jack, and I went on a "vacation" to the Osa Peninsula. (I say "vacation" because, hell, this is a vacation too...) We departed on the bus at 5am and arrived in Puerto Jimenez around 2pm, whereupon we met with Craig, the friend with whom we were staying. From there, we headed south to the property. I have never in my life seen such beauty.

Let me first describe for a minute how I know Craig and why he is in the Osa. Craig is a 56-year-old retired massage therapist from Gainesville, Florida. I did not know Craig in Gainesville; I only met him here. But, he stays often at our hotel when he travels to and from San Jose and the States. He was my friend Jamie's therapist for a year or so, and over the past two months we've talked a lot and have become friends. He knew throughout his life after a visit here that he wanted to retire here, so some months ago, back when I was first here, he searched for property to purchase. (I also met him when I was here in February.) So, he found a property in the Osa that he wanted to purchase, but it was $1.5 million and he didn't have that. For six months back in the States, he approached investors and eventually purchased this property. It is just under 700 hectares (about 1500 acres), of which 200 hectares is primary rainforest, and other parts include rivers, reforested zones, and the most dense biodiversity in the country (including wild cats). It is adjacent to Lapa Rios, an ecolodge that recently acquired a prestigious U.S. award for corporate eco-consciousness. So, on the property that Craig and others purchased, over the next three years, is a development project of an ecolodge. They have attained preserve status from the government, and only a certain portion of the property can be developed (I think it's 5 acres?). Right now there are two houses on the property, and they overlook from a 900-foot elevation, the southern end of the peninsula and the Pacific Ocean. It is without electric and telephone...there is solar power and under development is a hydroelectric project. There is radio communication to Puerto Jimenez and the cell phone works from the tower on the property (which is the highest point in the southern Osa). Also in the works over the next few months is Internet service.Craig lives in the main house as well as the construction manager Tom and his 12-year-old son Quito (and they are from St. Augustine). In the other house on the property live the current groundskeepers. Other than this, there are no people for many kilometers. So this is where we stayed our vacation. It was a simple yet elegant home, perfection.

I don't have time now to describe all that we did. But, what is on my mind now is an offer that Craig made to me before I left. He wants me to be involved in this project as his assistant. Basically, I would help him with simple errands like shopping in town and picking up guests from the airport, as well as updating the monthly newsletter for the investors and other stakeholders. I would also help him oversee the projects they are working on (such as the Internet, hydroelectric, construction, and gardening projects). Many people visit there often, friends of the shareholders, shareholders themselves, and others (for example on Monday the director of the Nature Conservancy). Other than that, it will be a lot more isolated than here, I wouldn't be able to have a great social life...otherwise this is a grand opportunity. All that is left now is for me to give notice to my current boss and Craig wants me to get down there as soon as possible (ideally within two weeks). So... there is the update on me, minus many many details. I will be posting photos later tonight or tomorrow. Until later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home